* I did in fact end up calling out of work for the day following my last post, and am, at this point, prepared to admit that I have The Flu. Because yes, still sick, to the point that while I did not miss any more work after that, I did leave early yesterday in tears because I was just SO SICK and the world kept tilting on its axis and that is not good when what you do for a living has a large component of "balancing heavy breakable things on trays lifted up high." Blahhh. Today is day two of Doxycycline following my sinuses threatening to eject my eyeballs from my head and Bad Ear showing up to the party already schwasted and behaving appallingly. ET TU, 2014?
* There have been some bright spots in the murky haze of snot I've been viewing the world through, however. Such as k. I just love her Random Useless Tidbits posts, and often comment on them even though I am not much of a commenter these days. Also, her GIF posts crack my shit up. HIS SHOES. OMG. Also, Poppy.
* I definitely went through a phase of not liking Poppy very much because she a) wasn't Isis and b) was/is a damnfool untrained puppy. Neither of which are her fault, but I never claimed not to be an irrational shithead, now did I? The night I called in to work, though, she came and spooned with me in bed the way Isis used to, because apparently even damnfool puppies can tell when you're dying. Aww. At the height of the snuggling she craned her head back, looked sweetly into my eyes, and...sneezed in my face. Yes, even our DOG is sick, here. Her little cough that she'd had since we brought her home (and that she was on antibiotics for when we got her) turned nasty and wet, and I took her to the vet prepared to hear that she had LUNG CANCER or some such shit, not even realizing how much I'd worked myself up about it until I was SO RELIEVED when the vet was unconcerned and pronounced it all to be "typical post-Pound crud." So Poppy is on antibiotics and steroids, and a medicated ointment for her yucky ears, and gained nine pounds in ten days per the vet's scale. EEP!
* Hotter and I...seem to be good. Some of y'all have asked, so I thought I'd put that out there. I definitely think I have some residual feelings, comma, bad about what went down right before Isis died that are surfacing in the form of my immune system sucking ass, turning on my SI joint, and letting the flu walk right in like it owns the place, but this shit happens within a marriage. I didn't burn his holiday gifts as I threatened on several occasions to do, and even wrapped them, and he liked them very much. I got him some coloring books for grownups for his fine-motor OT; he'd asked me for a color-able poster-thing that was kind of lame so I went one better and found these:#
I also got him a big wooden chopping block, which is something he'd been wanting for a very long time, some coffee, and a knife block big enough for all of our good and halfway-decent knives.
* News from the in/outlaw front: Lefty has been transferred to a state prison, Loud and Crazy is still loud and crazy, and The Wrath is still kicking (albeit without a car due to Lefty wrecking two, her wrecking one, and not being able to get any more car loans right now for some odd reason). That's about all I know on the in/outlaw front, and that's okay with me.
* News on the bloodfamily front: I called Only Living Relative on Christmas, even though we are both atheist Jews, and he's still kicking as well and about 70% coherent currently. He had a misadventure wherein he attempted to order checks, but was asked to come in and speak with a banker in person, and spun this into a fantastical delusion that the US Department of Justice was worried about him being able to move his money about freely given that his pacemaker battery is in kind of an odd location, he'd told his caregiver (bless her heart) that he was moving to Mexico, and he has an FBI file from the 1950s. Clearly, he told me, They think I'm a terrorist. I said They're probably right, and we had a good laugh about that. So he's keeping busy!
* The XY continues to be Lord of The Douche. His most recent shenanigans involve 1) trying to move the site of our child-exchanges to the schoolbus stop by my house permanently (I agreed to it on a one-time basis due to my having to work Christmas Day and knew it would be problematic; you give that effer ONE INCH and the next thing you know he's peeing in your yard), 2) e-mailing me while we were waiting for him at the actual exchange location to say he'd be half an hour late, 3) parking in a handicapped spot at the exchange location and stating that he wasn't letting the kids out of his truck until I did the same (I pulled over next to the adjacent median and put my flashers on, because there wasn't much traffic, the boys would not be crossing any pavement to get from truck to Beater, and I didn't want to shut the car off and give the XY the opportunity to try and pick a fight), which led to a standoff, because a) No b) he doesn't get to tell me what to do and was only trying to be a controlling dick and pick a fight and c) NO. Finally I parked in a non-handicapped spot and he let the kids out. I have to do this every Wednesday and every other Friday for the next ten years. Oy!
* One of Big Child's gifts this last year was this DNA test kit for the Bumpus-hound:
We have duly swabbed the dog's cheeks and sent his DNA off for analysis, and should get a result of some sort within two to three weeks. My best guess is that we'll get a letter from the folks at Wisdom Panel inquiring as to how we got the possum and the Saluki to Do It and whether there are any littermates available for study.
* Our lease is up in February, and I don't want to replace our defunct hens until that hurdle is past us. I don't THINK MFA Landlord will decline to renew the lease or anything crazy (despite Trashcan Neighbor's best efforts), but I know he'll raise the rent because he always does, and hopefully he doesn't get TOO greedy. I should be cleaning the house in preparation for a potential inspection RIGHT NOW, but instead I have The Plague, damn it all.
* How are all of YOU?
# Hi. Yeah, since I already use asterisks as bullets, because I'm lazy creative like that, I just used a hashtag in place on an asterisk. Those there are affiliate links, just eff why eye. If you use them to buy those coloring books I get, like, a penny. I LIKE PENNIES!