* I just typed out a long and somewhat-witty post, and then Chrome crashed and ate it, so this'll be shorter and less entertaining than I'd planned.
* The MFA Minivan took a jump this morning, and got me to work okay. I was worried, because I forgot the jumper cables at home, that it wouldn't start back up after work.
* It was slow at Eclecstasy tonight, and I was worried I'd make shitty money because of it being slow and my only having about a third of a voice, but...surprisingly I did pretty well for a slow night! I don't know whether I'm ordinarily babbly from nerves and the guests liked my more laid-back and voice-saving approach, or thought they'd better tip me well enough to get to a doctor, or just liked my new rubber duckie tie, but I got nice tips and not one but TWO notes saying how great I was! Whaaa?
* The MFA Minivan started right up after work, and everything was fine until the engine, all of the lights, and everything else cut off and it caught on fire on the highway on the way home, at midnight, in the rain, at 65 m.p.h. Which sounds bad, and was, but went as well as it possibly could have, really. Nobody was behind me, so I didn't get hit due to the lack of lights, and while the steering and brakes both died along with everything else, I was able to wrestle the thing safely to the side of the road. Heck, when I lifted the hood the rain even put the fire out. My best offline friend, who also works late, was able to come and get me within half an hour, and really every vehicle fire should end so safely.
* That said, everything else about this SUCKS. We JUST got back on our feet to where everybody who helped me during job training had been paid back, the bills were current, and the back-to-school craziness was covered. I have about a hundred bucks to my name, a tow truck to get the MFA Minivan's mortal remains to MFA Mechanic's shop will be $35, I have no idea how I'm getting to work tomorrow, and tomorrow I either have to buy a new piece of shit or else come up with a way to finance repairs. There's a chance I can get the minivan back on the road for less than $200; if I am correct that the burnt-up doohickey below is the alternator and that is ALL that needs to be replaced, I'll probably try to flog the thing along for another month or two while I save for something new. But...given that there was fire I'm thinking there might be other damage.
* I hate this, hate hate HATE this, but...given that I have very little pride left and Stalky is the least of my concerns at the moment, I'm going to suck it up and ask y'all for help again. Unlike last time I won't be so optimistic as to predict when I could pay everyone back by, because buying another vehicle right now would necessarily involve some help, a lot of double-shifts, and some serious robbing of Peter around here to pay Paul to pull off. But if you are in a position to be able to make me a loan, or donate toward repairs/replacement, or if any of you have a cheap car for sale somewhere along the Southeastern seaboard or are secretly Bill Gates and feeling generous...well. I'm not overlooking any potential ways through this, and would appreciate the help. The donate button to the right is linked to PayPal, and if you need the money back please mark it as a loan in the "purpose" field and I'll get it back to you ASAP.
* Thanks, y'all. Just for being there in general. I imagine people with families rely on them in a similar manner, the person to call when you have life questions, the last resort in times of hardship to go to for help or at least a sympathetic ear, and while I don't have family, it's pretty great to have all of you to tell me how long to charge a battery after a jumpstart, that that looks like the alternator, that I'll figure something out...I'm not entirely losing my junk right now because I feel like I've got y'all collectively THERE to help me figure this out, and that's pretty great.