* I added ANOTHER new department to my list of job codes and checkstub lines at work this week, and it involved figuring out how to make waist-length hair play nicely under a paper chef's hat (in case you ever have to do that, the answer turned out to be a VERY high ponytail wound into a bun). This isn't something I'm likely to be doing very often, but I've discovered that once you have a job code for a department, you can usually pick up work there if they are desperate for bodies or someone calls out on a busy day. So that's nice.
* I also went back to work in the department I quit working in a while back. They fired the two worst workers since I was there last, and it's a much more pleasant environment now in terms of the people I work with there. That's the good news! The bad news is that it's still pretty chaotic and really physically grueling. But it pays well! I don't know, I may well end up quitting it again, but this is something I'm very good at that can be a lot of fun when it goes well.
* It turns out the culprit in my recent glutenation was a handful of jellybeans I ate at work during a moment of stress when a co-worker offered me the bag. I started to say no thank you but I really like jellybeans and figured there wasn't much chance of there being gluten in them, except no: modified food starch. Which contains gluten. GOD DAMN IT. I learned this when I went to buy myself a bag of the same brand of jellybean at the grocery store and now I'm sad.
* Because life loves me, right after my last post I came down with pinkeye, although I didn't miss any work because I went to the doctor BETWEEN the shifts of a split double at the first signs of trouble and got some antibiotic drops before my eyes looked bad enough to advertise that I had The Filth. Don't worry, I practiced obsessively good hand hygiene. Like, more so than usual even :)
* There has been some epic fuckery of the interpersonal variety amongst various parties at work, which has made life unduly interesting in a "DO NOT WANT" kind of way, but I think it's winding down now, so that's good.
* I am SO tired/broke down/busted-up/burned out. Ten shifts in six days may just be the last stop before my absolute breaking point. I think I need to find myself a foot and ankle specialist, because between Paul on one side and my jacked-up ankle on the other that started hurting mid-February and has only gotten worse, I think I need at least one cortisone shot. But then I might just need to rest for a bit, since one knee and the other hip and my back and everyotherdamnthing is also acting up and it's possible I'm just really fucking worn-out.
* I was simultaneously outraged and elated to find that the closest feed store was giving away six chicks with any feed purchase, and came home with six "Araucanas." Although I'll be surprised if any of them are rumpless and only one has wee puffy cheek tufts. They'll be cool-looking birds that lay blue and green eggs, though, I'm sure and that is all I really want. Well, that and for Skeeter to quit acting like MFA Birdie's old cage is his personal Easter basket:
* Pfeffer is pregnant and due tomorrow-ish with what feels like a largish litter that she hopefully won't eat!
* We're getting bees again! Hideously overpriced package bees from another state, which is everything I don't want in my hives, but all that was available by the time I got my finances to a point of being able to GET bees after Carmageddon. Oh well. They'll be Italians, which are the kind of bees I wanted to try out if local wasn't available, and my boss was gratifyingly cool about it when I told him I'd get a call at some point in a few weeks and have to drop what I was doing and leave immediately to deal with buzzing mail.
* What's new with all of YOU?