I never did get around to an update on the whole Brazilian situation, but after having two done by a professional I started doing my own at home and haven't looked back. My reasoning went something along the lines of "$50 a pop ($40 plus tip, and maybe 25% is high for the tip but if someone has touched my taint I kind of feel like I owe them) vs. $5 for a home-kit = no-brainer." Granted, there IS more pain involved with a home-jobby, not because of the quality of the wax or anything so much as the fact that it's hard not to wuss out and go too slowly, but it's not awful. I got a mark like this one, except down there, from my second pro-job; the waxer said they just happen sometimes, especially with bleeders, regardless of technique, and that was most of my rationale when it came to paying a pro (trying to avoid THAT). I also find that I can actually do a better job getting the stray hairs that are closer to the center of the universe on my own, probably because it's my own junk and I have no problem handling it in ways that might seem inappropriate in a spa setting.
For those of you playing along at home, would I recommend trying to do your own Brazilian? Yes and no. Yes in that the end-result is just as good if not better than going with a pro, no in that you have to have a pretty high pain tolerance and possibly hyperflexible joints to git 'er done, both of which I possess, so YMMV. If you do decide to give it a whirl, here are some tips:
1. Use this stuff! It's great, it smells nice, and if you keep an eye out for sales and buy in 3-packs you can usually get it for less than $5 per jar:
2. WEAR GLOVES. The wax will absolutely stick to and get under your fingernails if you don't.
3. Put down newspaper to protect your floor, because you WILL drip wax.
4. Don't forget to use the oil that comes with the kit before you wax. Trust me on this.
5. Use something on your skin afterward to prevent infection (pros also apply hydrocortisone, but I skip that step because yeast loves steroids and...yeah). I use this, because it's what the waxer I went to swears by:
Disclaimer: Those up there are affiliate links. Which means that if you buy the products shown through my links, I get a penny or something. I LIKE PENNIES!