* Management has capped overtime at about twenty hours per week LESS than I've been aiming for of late, and I Am Not A Fan. Largely because this means I'll have to get another job in addition to The Ritz and juggle two schedules, and I don't WANT another job. I like all five of my existing jobs within the one resort property, and the simplicity of the single paycheck, HR department, timeclock, etc. In the short-term, however, this may mean more blogging, so there's that.
* Today I only worked the one shift, so since the MFA Children had expressed an interest in trying duck (it came up in the context of it being one of the courses in a five-course Special Dinner Thing I worked at The Ritz, which I was describing to Hotter and the boys), I broke down a whole duck into skin, legs, wings, and boneless breasts and thighs, sliced the breast and thigh meat thinly, pounded it, and then put it to marinate in ginger, garlic, wheat-free soy sauce, and honey with a dash of vinegar. I then rendered the skin over low heat, pouring off clarified fat until I had a goodly amount. Two dogs and a cat then got the cooled skin bits to eat and licked their chops for the rest of the damn night. Meanwhile, I salted and scored the legs and wings, poured fat over them, and made confit for the grown-ups. For the kids I cut the tenderized and marinated boneless meat into bite-sized bits, dredged them in cornstarch, salt and pepper, and fried them in the rest of the fat until crispy. Then I popped the crispy duck-bites into the oven to make sure they were cooked through, and made a sauce with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, honey, and the juice and chopped peel of an organic navel orange. I made "deconstructed springrolls" (spring-roll veggies over rice) to go with the duck and sauce, and served it up, and EVERYBODY LIKED DINNER. *preens*
* Suddenly it is ridiculously gorgeous outside! To celebrate, Poppy gathered an assortment of ticks around her...bathing-suit areas. If dogs wore bathing suits. Which ours do not. I don't know who I felt sorrier for during the removal process, Poppy herself, Hotter, who was tasked with holding her, or me (ticks are TINY, Poppy is covered in tick-MARKS, which it would be inadvisable to remove with tweezers, and my eyes are apparently not what they used to be) (which means my face was way closer to dog...underbelly...than I'd ever like for it to be again).
* Valet continues to be a lot of fun. I got to drive one of these that was either brand-new or in mint condition. Black with a tan leather interior. It smelled like happiness inside! Sadly there was a space very near the entrance to The Ritz's garage and so I had no legitimate reason to take her out of first gear :(
* I have a burgeoning chest cold, and I would rather not.
* I am beginning to think Bravo Hive may still be alive after all! That would be fabulous news, for obvious reasons. Hopefully it stays nice and I don't get any sicker so I can check on the hive tomorrow after work (after that it's doubles for the rest of the week), although the last time I did that before working in the restaurant, as I will be on Thursday, I got to wait tables with a grotesquely-swollen face as a result. Hmm...
* The TL;DR version: I heartily recommend Porsche Boxsters and well-cooked duck, ticks, money and chest colds suck, and bees are confusing, which is exacerbated by their hatred of close study.
How are all of YOU?