So I thought maybe I'd take Isis to the vet and they'd find out she had a rotten tooth and scold me for being late on her cleaning and then I'd bitch about how it cost as much as the people-dentist to fix and we'd all have a laugh at my expense because I had convinced myself the dog was dying and OMG, NOT EVERYTHING IS THAT DAMN SERIOUS.
Except instead of that, the vet was like "oh wow, hopefully this is just a tick-borne illness but she's lost a little weight and doesn't seem infectious-sick...have you ever heard of LYMPHOMA?" Which is exactly what Dr. Google said that freaked me out so badly yesterday.
So they did a full panel of bloodwork, and nothing came back abnormal there except for her "blood protein levels," which the vet says just indicates that something, somewhere in Isis is inflamed, maybe from infection, maybe from injury, maybe from lymphoma. Since her white blood count wasn't indicative of infection, they recommended that I let them aspirate all of the lymphnodes and send the fluid for testing, and that will tell us definitively whether this is cancer or not. SOMETIME NEXT WEEK.
The vet said her only other theory was mayyyybe some kind of tick-borne illness, either ehrlichia, Lyme disease, or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It's kind of longshot since it's been longer than the incubation period on those things typically is since Isis had a tick on her and she had the Lyme vaccine. The "tick panel" of bloodwork is $200, but since the antibiotic they use for All Things Tick was $60 and they wanted to put her on an antibiotic "just in case" anyway (the vet is concerned that if the lymphnodes on her neck get any bigger while we're waiting on the lab Isis won't be able to swallow), we agreed to just go ahead and treat her as if she had a tick-borne illness. I know that I for one would be perfectly okay with it if the lymphoma test came back negative, the antibiotics worked, and we never knew for sure what had been wrong.
In the meantime, we're spoiling Isis ROTTEN. I don't think she's even been in her crate except to eat (Skeeter WILL NOT stay out of her bowl if there's food in it and while she's never snapped at him, she HAS--understandably--growled at him for this, so we put her in "protective custody" when she's eating to keep him safe) since I took her to the vet (I went back to work afterward, and Hotter is an even bigger sucker for that dog than I am). I worked a banquet tonight where we carved two Steamship Rounds, and brought the bones from both of them home for her. She's taking her antibiotics in more peanut-butter than is strictly necessary. And she can hog the bed all she wants for now.
Obviously I'll let y'all know when we know anything...man I hope this turns out okay.