* I finally ovaried up and weighed myself for the first time since a combined total of five-ish weeks on steroids over the past couple of months. It wasn't pretty (I don't diet while on steroids, since they make me cranky/insane enough, and I work AND live with very talented chefs). So I'm back to MyFitnessPal (which I wholeheartedly recommend if you're looking for a calorie/exercise tracking app). If you're on there, we should be friends! I'm MFAMama, of course.
* I just love this lady's blog, even if it does give me terrible farm-envy. She recently wrote about her experience with cooking a beef tongue and the "ick factor." That was right up my alley; we cooked our first beef tongue just last week! To answer the various questions I've gotten on that: it was both grosser than AND less gross than I expected (I thought touching the thing while raw and peeling the "skin" off would be the nasty parts, but those weren't bad--the slimy texture of the peeled tongue pre-slicing and sauteeing, however...shudder), we ate it chopped up as taco meat, and it was FREAKING DELICIOUS! If you're curious what it looked like, here is a how-to with photos (not my how-to or photos). I didn't tell the boys the WHOLE truth about the meat until after dinner (I just said it was beef, which was not untrue), where all three of them commented on how delicious the meat was and squabbled over the scraps in the serving bowl. When I told them, they were kind of shocked that tongue was edible, but all three said they wanted to have it again soon, so I'm calling that a win (especially since the farmer we buy our beef from charges $6/lb for organic, grass-fed ground beef and only $3/lb for the tongues from the same animals).
* Work is...interesting. I haven't worked for Job #2 for a couple of weeks, and think maybe they're pissed at me for calling in sick on a really busy day there, but that's okay! I'm pissed at them for three overdrafts they caused me by losing my last paycheck from them (which you have to pick up IN PERSON--they won't give part-timers automatic deposit or even mail checks) and was strongly considering quitting Job #2 because it is ALWAYS LIKE THAT with them (you just kind of have to expect to be treated like shit on the job, paid late, scheduled and rescheduled at the very last minute, etc. plus this is the same company as the original "Weekend Warrior Job" and both times I've worked with them I've been shocked at how badly they treat their employees in general). In an interesting plot-twist, Job #1 has been incredibly slow recently in my usual department, but for the past month or so I've been working in another department where I make a LOT more money in a LOT fewer hours, and customer satisfaction is way up, so this may become a permanent change. If it continues like this, I don't strictly-speaking HAVE to find another Job #2 (I mean, more money would be nice, but I think all the double shifts and weeks without days off were contributing to how sick I've been for the past few months, plus I really missed my family). I kind of feel like I should, though, just in case.
* The hens are molting. Boooo. What this means is that instead of four eggs per day we now get MAYBE one egg, nestled in an entire chicken's worth of feathers. I hope they hurry up and finish with that!
* I think Pfeffer stays pregnant longer than normal for a rabbit. Most rabbits kindle between twenty-nine and thirty-one days after breeding, and she consistently goes thirty-two days. This consistently screws with my head, and you'd think I would have learned by now.
* Wheat? Is in EVERYDAMNTHING (we're doing a trial separation, wheat and I--I don't think I have Celiac disease or anything, but am trying to figure out some GI issues that are consistent with what friends who have wheat problems have, and figured it couldn't hurt; it'll probably also help me lose some of the steroids weight) (can you tell I feel like a total tool here? I think way too many people are wheat/gluten free as kind of a fad-thing lately and the word "paleo" trips my gag reflex. Don't worry, they'll pry the organic dairy out of my COLD, DEAD HANDS).
* The Unbloggability continues, and is really eating at me, hence the recent dearth of posts. It's hard to come on here and not talk about something that is so large and in charge of my brain lately, especially since it's something I wouldn't have a problem with telling y'all EXCEPT that I think Stalky would read it and go into masturbatory overdrive. So while I might write about it in the future, especially if the situation ends in one of a couple of ways I'm afraid it might, I'll just say that it's nothing to do with the health or wellbeing of anyone here in Casa MFA, is ABSOLUTELY beyond my or Hotter's control, and the MFA Children are blissfully unaware of the entire thing (as well they should be--I am very much against burdening children with grown-up issues, which is in sharp contrast with my own upbringing, and I love that my kids don't worry all the damn time the way I did as a child).
* I really want it to be Spring so I can plant things. There's nothing like taking one's feelings outside and putting a hurt on the dirt.
* How are all of YOU?