* Isis ingested some kind of foreign body, we now believe she ate an entire package of albuterol nebs (WHY, DOG? WHYYYY?).
* $500 dollars worth of tests later, we a) are Officially Poor again b) knew she'd die without immediate surgery.
* By that time the discount veterinary surgeon who cut the thorns out of Isis's belly a few months ago was closed.
* I wrote Banfield a check intending to hock my rings and get a payday loan in the morning, but they draft it on the spot and I did not have $2,700 in the bank so surgery was out.
* Banfield's quack of a vet then REFUSED TO EUTHANIZE MY DOG. She kept repeating that immediate surgery, not euthanasia, was in my dog's best interests. I told her I understood that but didn't have the money and didn't want the dog to suffer. I've had peritonitis. It's horrible. I LITERALLY would not, and DO not, wish that on a dog.
* The vet then said she could give us antibiotics and narcotics for the dog and she MIGHT make it until morning, although probably her intestines would burst and surgery would be riskier and more expensive. I explained that I would be lucky if I could raise the "less expensive" amount in the morning and didn't think that was fair to the dog.
* The vet offered to keep Isis at their office on an IV. I asked if that would cure the dog. She said of course not. I said then just put her down, please. The vet refused, stating that she "couldn't bear to do that." WHAT THE FUCK, THAT IS YOUR JOB?!?
* So we paid all of our disposible income ($500) and brought our miserable, quivering, panting-in-pain dog home with the understanding that she will absolutely die, most likely before morning. The pain medicine doesn't seem to help much. I posted a video clip on Twitter of the way she's breathing; I'm pretty sure she's in shock now. We're just holding her. If she lives until morning we'll take her to the SPCA.
* The real kick in the teeth? I checked their rate sheet, and the discount vet surgeon would do the surgery for a flat rate of $855, which we juuuust could've swung BEFORE paying Banfield $500 to send us home to watch our dog die. I kind of hope she goes before that place opens.
* I get that Banfield has the right to earn a living, and charge whatever they want for their services. In an ideal world they'd maybe have some fucking compassion for a lifelong client whose care to date has put several thousand dollars in their pockets, but I get that they are a chain and have to answer to their corporate overlords. Whatever. The part that makes me FURIOUS, and what is absolutely inexcusable, is sending an animal they give pretty much NO chance of not dying in misery home to expire slowly in front of the people who love it. That is NOT okay.
* If you have pets, do NOT take them to Banfield Pet Hospital. They overcharge, and at best they wuss out when it comes to humanely ending the life of a suffering pet (at worst they're hoping we'll be upset enough to raise the money they want in the morning, but if I let myself think along those lines I will end up in jail).
* It's going to be a long, sad night. Pet your dogs, y'all.
Sent from The Precious